The message insufficient device storage may appear when trying to install an app or firmware update on your Ledger Nano S device. For a firmware update: simply uninstall all apps. To make space for apps: just uninstall apps you don't need. Uninstalling apps does not affect your crypto assets.
- Open the Manager in the Ledger Live application.
- Check on the screen of your Ledger Nano S which apps are installed. Pick a few to uninstall.
- Find the apps to uninstall in the App catalog in Ledger Live.
- Click the Trash button for each app to uninstall.
- Install the apps you want to use.
The number of installable apps varies
- Apps have different sizes.
- Apps based on Bitcoin or Ethereum are small. You can install a lot of them at the same time, stacking them. You can install up to 18 apps that are based on Bitcoin.
- Other apps are independent and cannot be stacked. You can typically install 4 to 5 of those.
- If you can install less apps than before, reinstall all apps in a different order to reset the storage.
Ledger Nano S securely stores the private keys giving access to your crypto assets. Each app on the device lets you manage a crypto asset. Example: To manage Bitcoin, install the Bitcoin app.
Your device has limited storage. You can safely uninstall and install apps within seconds without losing access to your crypto assets. Your private keys stay safe on your device and on your Recovery sheet.
Your crypto assets are not stored in the apps, they are secured on the blockchain.
Simultaneously use more apps
To avoid uninstalling apps to free storage, you can another device for different apps. If you restore the recovery phrase from the first device on the second one, both devices manage the same private keys and will access the same accounts.