This tutorial only works for users who already got or bought some BCH. If you want to know how to get some BCH as you owned BTC on your Ledger device before / during the fork, please consult this guide.
To make Bitcoin Cash transactions with Ledger, you need:
- a computer with the Bitcoin application installed on your Chrome browser (Linux, Windows or Mac).
If you didn't install yet, follow this guide.
- an updated Ledger device: Nano, HW.1, Nano S or Blue
To update your Nano S, follow this guide
To update your Nano or HW.1, follow this guide
- the Bitcoin Cash application installed on your Ledger device - only required if you have the Nano S or Blue. To install it, install the Ledger Manager where you can find the Bitcoin Cash application to install.
To send Bictoin Cash from your Ledger device to a CashAddr, you can convert it using this tool.
Once these apps are installed, to open your Bitcoin Cash account, just:
- Launch the Bitcoin Chrome app on your computer and select the Bitcoin Cash chain (if you want to know what the other chains are for, please consult this article about the Bitcoin fork)
- Connect your device, enter your PIN code
- open your Bitcoin Cash application on the device itself (only required with a Nano S or a Blue)
- Disable the "Browser support" setting of this application (only required with a Nano S or a Blue)
- Your Bitcoin Cash wallet opens
This application is an account manager, where you can send and receive Bitcoin Cash transactions and check your balance.
The only way to open it is to connect your Ledger device and enter your PIN code. Without the device, the app won't launch. With Nano S and Blue, you also need to open the Bitcoin Cash app on your device.
For each sending transaction, your application will ask you to verify your transaction. On Nano S and Blue, this authentication is directly made on your device screen. On Nano and HW.1, this authentication is made with your Security card or the Ledger Authenticator.
UPDATES & TROUBLES
The Bitcoin Chrome application updates automatically, you don't have anything to do. Each time Ledger releases an update, it will be synced after a few hours on your computer. If you want to force an update to the latest version, just restart Chrome.
If you read "Unable to install application" error message it can be displayed for several issues described here.