Install the Bitcoin app on your Ledger device to manage Bitcoin (BTC) with Ledger Live. The Bitcoin app is developed and supported by Ledger and works on the Ledger Nano S and Ledger Blue devices.
Before you start
Install the Bitcoin app
- Open the Manager in Ledger Live.
- Connect and unlock your device.
- If asked, allow the manager on your device.
- Find Bitcoin in the app catalog.
- Click the Install button of the app.
- An installation window appears.
- Your device will display Processing...
- The app installation is confirmed.
Legacy addresses start with a 1. This is Bitcoin's original address format. The option to add legacy addresses in Ledger Live is planned.
SegWit addresses generally start with a 3. The SegWit upgrade reduces network fees, speeds up transaction signing on hardware wallets, and enables second-layer solutions like Lightning Network. By default, new accounts added in Ledger Live are SegWit accounts.
Bech32 addresses start with bc1. These are native SegWit addresses that feature safety and security improvements. This address format will be implemented in Ledger Live.