Fido U2F is a two-factor authentication method (2FA) developed by the FIDO Alliance. It works with several web services, like Facebook, Dashlane, Gmail, Dropbox, GitHub, etc.
For each of these web services, you need to set up the security parameters of your account to register your Nano S or your Blue as a second factor security key to authenticate on it. This second factor of verification will improve the security of your loging in processes, as you will be first required your login and password, second an authentication via your Nano S.
Note: Fido U2F is not required to secure cryptocurrencies. It simply provides additional functionality to your Ledger device.
- A Ledger Nano S or Ledger Blue
- The latest firmware version installed on your device.
- Your device should already be configured with a 24 word recovery phrase and a PIN code.
- The Ledger Manager should be downloaded and installed.
Note: Each time you reinstall the Fido U2F application on your Ledger device, it will have to be reconfigured with each service it is being used with. Never rely on Fido U2F as the sole means of accessing your accounts on other services. Refer to this article for more information.
How to setup Fido U2F with your Ledger device
- Open the Ledger Manager.
- Connect your Ledger device to your computer using the USB cable.
- Unlock the device by entering your PIN code.
- Go to the APPLICATIONS tab of the Ledger Manager.
- Install the Fido U2F application by clicking on the green download button.
- Confirm in case your Ledger device asks Allow Ledger Manager?
- Open Fido U2F from the dashboard of your device.
- Go to the security parameters of web services partnering with Fido U2F and follow their instructions to register your device.
Further instructions can be found in the documentation of the respective web services that support Fido U2F: