The update to firmware version 1.4.2 introduces minor security as well as user experience improvements. Please check our blog post for full details on the changes included in this update.
Before updating your Ledger Nano S, make sure your 24 word seed is accessible, even though it will not be required for most users.
Be advised that, as many users might try to update their devices at the same time upon the launch of the firmware update, our servers could experience heavy traffic the first moments of an update launch. This may result in difficulties or delays when updating your Ledger Nano S. If you experience any delay while updating your Ledger Nano S, we kindly ask for you to try updating your device again after waiting a few hours.
If you are experiencing an issue during the update, please check our update FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
Step by step instructions
1. Check the current firmware
- To do so on a Ledger Nano S that is already in use, connect your device to a computer with a USB cable and navigate to the settings app: Settings > Device > Firmware. If the firmware version on your Ledger Nano S is lower than 1.3, the 24 word seed will have to be re-entered after the update to restore the wallet. After execution of the steps on this page, refer to this article for assistance during the recovery process.
- For a new Ledger Nano S, press and hold the right button before inserting the connected USB cable to power on the device. The right button is the one far away from the USB connector, closest to the swivel hole. The Ledger Nano S will enter recovery mode and allow access to the Settings from the dashboard, Settings > Device > Firmware.
2. Launch the Ledger Manager
- Launch the Ledger Manager on the computer (if it is not already installed, download it from the Ledger Manager page), and connect the Ledger Nano S to the computer using the USB cable. Enter your PIN code on the Ledger Nano S.
3. Uninstall applications
- Go to the APPLICATIONS tab of the Ledger Manager.
- Uninstall all applications to make room for the firmware installer by clicking on the grey trash icon.
4. Download and start the update
- Once the Ledger Nano S is unlocked and connected to the Ledger Manager, navigate to FIRMWARES on the sidebar of the Ledger Manager.
- Click on the green INSTALL button.
- Confirm Allow Ledger manager? on the Ledger Nano S by pressing the right button. The right button is the one far away from the USB connector, closest to the swivel hole.
- The Ledger Manager will now display the installation screen while the updater is installed on the device.
5. Proceed with firmware update
The Ledger Nano S will now show three screens after each other in a slider. Before pressing the right button to confirm, make sure that:
- You see the Update firmware screen.
- The firmware Version is 1.4.2.
- You have checked that the identifiers shown on both the Ledger Nano S and the Ledger Manager match each other.
The first screen of the slider: Update firmware.
The second screen of the slider: Version 1.4.2.
The third screen of the slider displays the identifier. Verify that it matches the identifier shown on the Ledger Manager.
- After verification of the three screens, proceed with the update by pressing the right button. The OS updater will now be installed.
- The device will reboot after installing the firmware.
- At this stage, two cases are possible, depending on the firmware version that was identified in Step 1:
- If the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.4.1, the update is now complete. In this case the Ledger Nano S will boot as normal. Please skip Step 6 and directly go to Step 7.
- If the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.3.1 or lower, the Ledger Nano S will display MCU firmware is outdated (left side of the image below) and To begin, connect your Ledger Wallet on the Ledger Manager (right side of the image below). In this case, go to Step 6.
6. Reboot the Ledger Nano S
- Unplug and replug your Ledger Nano S to your computer while holding the left button. The left button is the one near the USB connector.
- Bootloader is displayed on the Ledger Nano S while Restoring MCU is shown on the Ledger Manager.
- During the MCU update, Update then Processing will be displayed on the Ledger Nano S and Installing firmware on the Ledger Manager. This procedure can take a few minutes.
- The Ledger Nano S might now display Update while the Ledger Manager shows the default message To begin, connect your Ledger Wallet. If this happens, wait a few minutes for the Installing firmware message to appear. Follow the next steps if it does not appear.
- Quit and launch the Ledger Manager on the computer.
- Disconnect and reconnect the Ledger Nano S to the computer using the USB cable.
- Unlock the Ledger Nano S by entering your PIN code.
- The process should restart. Still having an issue? Please check our FAQ for troubleshooting tips.
- If the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.3.1, go directly to Step 7.
- If the Ledger Nano S was already in use and the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.2 or lower, the 24 word seed now has to be re-entered to restore the wallet. Make sure the left button is pressed when asked: Configure as new device? Refer to this article for assistance during the recovery process.
- If the Ledger Nano S is new and the firmware version identified in Step 1 was 1.2 or lower, the device is ready to be configured for first use. Make sure the right button is pressed when asked: Configure as new device? Refer to the Ledger Nano S start page for assistance during the initialization process.
7. Verify the firmware and MCU versions of the Nano S
- Enter your PIN to unlock the Ledger Nano S.
Note: if your PIN code includes less than 8 digits, please type in your PIN code as usual, and use the right / left button until you reach a check mark (✓). Then, confirm your PIN code by pressing both buttons.
- Navigate to the settings app on the Ledger Nano S: Settings > Device > Firmware.
- Check the Secure Element version is 1.4.2.
- Click on the right button. Check the MCU version is 1.5.
You've successfully updated the firmware of your Ledger Nano S.
7. Reinstall applications
- The Ledger Nano S is now updated. You can install applications and use the device.
- Go to to the APPLICATIONS tab on the Ledger Manager. For each application you wish to install, click on the green download icon. If the application installation fails, please try to disconnect the Ledger Nano S and reconnect it.
- Please install the Bitcoin app first: all other apps require the Bitcoin app installed to operate properly.