Crypto assets you manage using your Ledger device can be targeted by malicious actors. Optimize your asset security by transacting with caution: don’t trust, verify.
Assume that your computer is compromised and that an address on your screen cannot be trusted:
- Use secondary communication means when obtaining a recipient address or QR code. Example: when an exchange has a receive address on its website, verify the address through SMS, email or a messaging app when possible.
- Check recipient addresses after you copy and paste. Malware on your computer might replace addresses in your clipboard.
- Verify that the receive address, amount and fees are correct and that they are the same on both your computer and the device’s screen when sending a payment.
- Try sending a small amount first. Then verify that the payment was properly received by the recipient address before proceeding to send larger amounts.
- Wait for a significant amount of confirmations before accepting a payment. For Bitcoin, six confirmations are recommended.