Before sending and receiving crypto assets, educate yourself to make informed decisions. Crypto assets you manage using your Ledger device can be targeted by malicious actors. Optimize your asset security by transacting with caution.
Don't trust, verify
Assume that your computer is compromised and that an address on your screen cannot be trusted:
- Always send a small amount first. Then verify that the transaction was properly received by the recipient address before proceeding to send larger amounts.
- Use secondary communication means when obtaining a recipient address or QR code. Example: when an exchange has a receive address on its website, verify the address through SMS, email or a messaging app when possible.
- Check recipient addresses after you copy and paste. Malware on your computer might replace addresses in your clipboard.
- Verify that the receive address, amount and fees are correct and that they are the same on both your computer and the device’s screen when sending a transaction.
- Wait for a significant amount of confirmations before accepting a payment. For Bitcoin, six confirmations are recommended.